Schiphol is the place to be for travel, reside and work. By means of data and technology, we optimize the living and working climate in all these areas and ensure smarter and more efficient operations. We develop new products and services based on the wishes and needs of our customers, predict passenger flows and test digital solutions to reduce queues and other pain points in the process. With smart feedback from sensor technology, we even make data from toilets and chairs insightful and usable.
The Commercial Platform consists of multidisciplinary teams with end-2-end responsibility for creating, developing and maintaining new and existing business applications, products and services for the Schiphol Commercial business unit and its direct customers: passengers, visitors, tenants, business - and media partners. Together we create value for the customer and Schiphol by developing a unique and dynamic meeting place for travel and work. This is done from three product market combinations: Parking & Mobility, Terminal Services (retail, catering, services, Privium, VIP and media) and Commercial Real Estate.
Every year, over 70 million travelers are our compass. Their experiences, needs, and frustrations help us decide where and how we can use digital solutions to make the traveler's journey a happier one. Whether it's a personal itinerary in the app or a transfer kiosk that caters to travelers with a short and stressful connection: with relevant information at the right time and place, we aim to ease travelers' minds as much as possible. In multidisciplinary agile teams, we go the extra mile to continuously develop our website, app, Self Service Units and new concepts. We do so, working closely together with other business areas.
As a backend developer, you are responsible for designing, developing and maintaining the software of Schiphol Group’s digital channels.
Together with the business and your scrum team, you develop API’s and functionalities that meet the end user’s needs. You have a strong technical background and can advise on the ideal solution for the stated problem. You are capable of explaining to non-technical colleagues the impact of the technical choices.
You believe that contributing to a good atmosphere is essential for a successful, respectful and welcoming workplace. You enjoy helping and coaching less experienced colleagues.
Together with your team, you are responsible for the concept, development and deployment of the product as well as maintaining the underlying infrastructure. We ship early, often and quickly. To do this, we use continuous delivery and trunk-based development, and a Kubernetes platform running docker containers. In our development process, we have a strong focus on quality and security that is reflected in our way of working. Strong teamwork is important, but you have to be able to take independent decisions as well.
Your added value
As a senior developer joining our team, you are passionate about programming, dev/ops, and finding digital solutions for complex problems. You have strong communication skills, are open to other people's opinions, and you like to work closely with other disciplines to achieve the best results. Additionally, you can weigh up short term against long term solutions, being able to prioritize.
You show ability to translate technique to non-technical people and you are critical on your own work and that of others. Mentoring less experienced team members comes naturally to you. Being able to think outside the box, you dare to experiment, show initiative and take responsibility.
- Advanced knowledge of PHP;
- Working knowledge of Symfony;
- Expertise in building APIs or backend solutions;
- Expertise in writing testable code (TDD) and testing (unit, integration & E2E);
- Working knowledge of Docker;
- Experience working in an agile team;
- Knowledge of architectural best practices;
- Working knowledge of a database system (MySQL, Redis, ElasticSearch);
- Working knowledge of GIT;
- Knowledge of/awareness about (web)security;
- Basic knowledge of Kubernetes, we can offer you a course to gain more knowledge.
Nice to have:
- Knowledge of another programming language;
- Knowledge of React with Next.js;
- Experience with Continuous Delivery;
- Strategic and tactical Domain-Driven Design;
- Knowledge of event sourcing (CQRS);
- High traffic/impact websites of APIs;
- Working knowledge of Varnish, Caching.
What we offer you
Do you want to work for a department that puts the user experience first? In an environment where the passenger experience of our products and services can be approached on a walking distance from the office? Are you looking for a job where you can work with highly driven, multidisciplinary teams? Then Schiphol Group is looking for you!
- A competitive salary ranging from 4.254,- 5.901,- euro based on a 36 hours (scale 12) depending on your knowledge and experience;
- 6,75% fixed end of the year bonus;
- A variable participation allowance of up to 7.5%;
- 2% Sustainable Employability Budget (DIB);
- BYOD allowance of €450, which can be used for setting up your home workstation (a laptop will be provided by us);
- Possibility to work from home, depending on your week: for instance 1 day at the office with a good cup of coffee from our barista and the remaining days from home;
- Flexible working hours for an optimal work-life balance with a home-work allowance;
- We promote an inclusive culture, which is why you are entitled to 2 diversity days, to be used on any day (including holidays);
- An education/training/development budget, specifically for your field of work;
- Schiphol Go allows you to decide for yourself how you travel to and from work;
- We encourage travelling by public transport, which is why you will receive an NS Business Card;
- Smartphone, choice of iPhone 13 or Samsung Galaxy S21;
- We give you room for development on a professional and personal level. For example, there is a personal sustainable employability budget (for training, coaching, sports and leave).
Do you recognize yourself in the description above and do you like this vacancy? Than we are happy to receive your application. Please send your motivation letter and resume online using the Apply button upper right in your screen. Please note we cannot accept applications per e-mail.
A security investigation including a personal background screening (VGB B-Burgerluchtvaart) will be part of the Onboarding procedure.
For additional information about this vacancy please contact our recruiter, Haico de Kroon: 06-10675212.