Royal Schiphol Group brings the world within reach. We connect the Netherlands with the rest of the world, creating value for the economy and society. Achieving this involves over 2.000 employees working 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our ambition is to develop Schiphol into Europe’s best Airport, both for passengers and for airlines. Innovation is key to achieve this ambition.
At Schiphol you can look out of the window and see your data products take effect on our operation. We are the only employer with both its own police force and a cinema. Our department works on a range of projects, from image recognition of below-wing processes of aircraft sitting at the gate, to expected waiting times at security and even dynamic routing of passengers through the terminal. Walking through the airport you can see your work take effect.
The Data & Analytics department (D&A) aims to be the driving force behind a data-driven culture, our AI, BI and analytics function and our data governance & quality frameworks. The goal of the Data Factory team is to provide data pipelines on a future-proof data infrastructure, that ensures continuity, safety and integrity of the delivered data.
The Central Data Factory team is a team of data engineers within D&A, whose primary purpose is to establish robust data pipelines for retrieving data from internal and external sources and eventually send it to the Core Data Platform. The team works closely with different departments within Schiphol, some of them are AI, BI, IoT, Data Governance and some more.
What will you do as a Data Engineer Data Factory?
As a Data Engineer, you will help us build a production grade cloud environment. In this role, you will closely together with our Core Data Platform team, various (internal) business stakeholders and multiple data providers.
You see yourself as a data engineer, with some programming experience and have the willingness to help the team achieve its goals. To do this, you’ll:
- Identify the integration requirements of several data sources;
- Help design, implement and test cloud based (Azure) data intensive applications;
- Collaborate with Lead Engineers, Data Architects & Enterprise Architects for technical solutions;
- Help team members whenever you can.
As a professional you are introspective and resilient with courage and focus. Innovation and agile working are an absolute priority. You believe that creating a good atmosphere is essential for a successful, respectful and welcoming workplace. We are still a small team, so we’ll be looking for a real ‘click’ connection. Your natural approachability enables you to connect with people. You are passionate about your work and are curious and open to new developments, with a mindset keyed to possibilities and opportunities. If you meet the requirements below, then we look forward to receiving your application!
- You have a BSc or MSc in a relevant field (e.g., Computer Science, Mathematics etc.);
- Interest in the aviation sector and the complexity of an airport;
- A curious mindset and an appetite for learning new things every day;
- Scala/Java/Kotlin experience is a plus. We would prefer someone hands-on experience with, at least, one of these;
- Knowledge of Kafka, Azure EventHub, Pravega or Pulsar (we currently use Kafka) is a plus;
- You recognize the importance of logging and monitoring (we currently use Splunk, OpenTelemetry);
- Experience with Microsoft Azure or another cloud provider is a plus;
- You are comfortable working with the latest DevOps technologies i.e., Kubernetes, OpenShift, Docker, Helm, etc;
- You are fluent in English. Knowledge of the Dutch language is a big plus.
- A competitive salary ranging from € 4.261,- and € 5.934,- based on 36 hours (scale 11) depending on your knowledge and experience;
- 8,33% fixed end of the year bonus;
- Schiphol Go allows you to decide for yourself how you travel to and from work;
- We encourage travelling by public transport, which is why you will receive an NS Business Card;
- Smartphone, choice of iPhone 13 or Samsung Galaxy S21;
- Flexible working hours for an optimal work-life balance with a home-work allowance;
- We give you room for development on a professional and personal level. For example, there is a personal sustainable employability budget (DIB) of 2% for training, coaching, sports and leave;
- We promote an inclusive culture, which is why you are entitled to two diversity days, to be used on any day (including holidays).
Do you recognize yourself in the above and does the vacancy appeal to you? Then we look forward to receiving your application. Send your motivation letter and CV online via the application button.
For additional information about this vacancy please contact our recruiter Mark Blesma via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: an AIVD security screening (VGB B-Civil Aviation) is part of the onboarding.