Nice to know (you)
- Working as an ML Engineer in Schiphol offers a wide variety of challenges. Schiphol is a city of its own and that is reflected in the variety of data and use cases.
- Together with 3,000 proud colleagues, we work towards our mission to be 'the world's most sustainable and high-quality airports'.
- The Data&Analytics team oversees the strategic use of AI, data and applied data science across the Royal Schiphol Group to identify growth opportunities and areas for innovation with new data products and services.
Connecting your world
It is one of the few places in the Netherlands where you can literally look out of the window and see your software have direct impact. You can help connect the Netherlands with the rest of the world. How you make this happen? That's up to you. At Schiphol Group, we have confidence in your talents like finding a solution to every problem and the way in which you use them as Senior Machine Learning Engineer in the Data & Analytics department.
You will work closely together with data architects to design and develop technical solutions. We expect you to take the team in tow and together take responsibility for the implementation, testing, and maintenance of these solutions. You help more junior team members to grow and develop their skills. Your work includes:
- Translate technical needs of the AI team into structural solutions;
- Breakdown high-level requirements into prioritized actionable tasks;
- Collaborate with scientists and engineers on the MLE roadmap;
- Support and improve our software development lifecycle and best practices;
- Design, implement, and test cloud based (Azure) data intensive applications;
- Collaborate with data architects to provide optimal technical solutions;
- Coaching, mentoring and growing members in your team.
About Schiphol Group
3,000 colleagues go the extra mile to connect the Netherlands with the rest of the world in the best possible way. Innovation, safety and cooperation are all top priorities. This is how we support the economy and people, both in the Netherlands and beyond. By the way, did you know that:
- … There were 266,967 aircraft movements at Schiphol in 2021?
- … 104 airlines fly from Schiphol Airport?
- … Schiphol Airport saw 25.5 million passengers in 2021?
About the team
At Royal Schiphol Group we have established a Data, AI & Analytics department (DnA), tasked with accelerating our group-wide transition to a truly data-driven organization. This department also oversees the strategic use of AI across the Royal Schiphol Group to identify growth opportunities and areas for innovation with new data products and services.
As senior ML Engineer you’ll be taking a steering role in a dedicated MLE team consisting of 9 engineers. Part of the work is done in vertically integrated (product) teams, while another part consists of developing core solutions. Some of our use cases are:
- IRIS, a web tool used to support decision making three days ahead by predicting effects of proposed solutions on the airport;
- Predictive security waiting times for passengers on web and app;
- A deep-learning based event-detection system that processes camera images to give us insight into what is going on in the turnaround process.
In terms of tooling we work on Azure. Some examples of components in our stack include Airflow, Confluent Kafka, OpenShift and Databricks (PySpark/Scala).
You've got this
- a Bachelor’s and/or a Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics, etc.).
- at least 6 years experience working with machine learning solutions including deployment and management in a production environment.
- extensive experience with containerized application deployment technology, e.g. Kubernetes/OpenShift and Helm.
- extensive experience with declarative infra-as-code, e.g. Terraform.
- Professional experience with (Confluent) Kafka, Databricks and (Py)Spark. Splunk is a plus.
- You have worked in an agile environment.
- You are fluent in English. Knowledge of the Dutch language is a plus.
You get this
- A competitive salary ranging from € 5.011,- and € 6.950,- based on 36 hours (scale 13) depending on your knowledge and experience.
- An 8,33 % fixed allowance at the end of the year.
- An iPhone 13 or Samsung Galaxy S21. Your choice!
- Participation in the ABP pension fund.
These are just a few of all the employment conditions that come with this position (based on a 36-hour working week). Schiphol Group has even more to offer you. For the total overview of all employment conditions, please visit Arbeidsvoorwaarden - Werken bij Schiphol Group.
Choose your destination
What are your talents? What are your dreams? What's your story? We're curious about you and would like to invite you to apply for a job here. Send us your CV and motivation by clicking on the apply button below.
- Do you have any questions about the position or the application process? Get in touch with Mark Blesma, Recruiter at email@example.com or 0654660569.
- An assessment may be part of the process.
- For more information about applying at Schiphol Group: www.werkenbijschiphol/procedure.
- For the safety of our passengers and colleagues, an AIVD security screening (VGB B civil aviation) is always part of the recruitment process.